Thursday, November 15, 2007

4 Blogging Styles I Really Like

1. Quaintly

Pinkpau/Su Ann's forte are her rants. Her thoughts unfold like paper butterflies on a digital canvas, and her prose is perfectly constructed, the kind you find in Booker shortlisters. Her words exude beauty: hair on the shower floor, braindust spiraling in the air. And her posts on Martian, her boyfriend, are a marvelous substitution for Chick Lit.

2. Dooce

Dooce is one of the few personal bloggers who make big money in the blogosphere. She's very good at taking tiny snippets of her life: random occurrences, minor incidences with her daughter, and she imbues them with life, wit, and good writing. These little snippets are like rays slicing into her life, allowing you an all-too-brief-a-look through her eyes.

3. Kamigoroshi

Edrei writes with absolute honesty. His posts are reflective, thoughtful ... though occasionally he writes things that make you smile. Some people think he's a girl, from the way his blog reads - but what he does well is that he takes the time to tell you not just what happened, but why it is important: to you, and to him.

4. Jonas Gumis


No kidding. Jonas has a good sense of storytelling - he times and paces his narrative, so even boring old events like St Jo's sports day come alive in his hands. I like it that he's naturally funny, and he can put on a lighthearted spin on serious topics. A downside to this is that my plug will probably boost his ego to stratospheric heights ... but at least he'll give us a laugh in the process, won't he?

Notice that I've left out Smashpop and Kenny Sia. I find they write too little, and their pictures do their talking for them. It's not a bad style of blogging, really, but it's just not my kind of thing.

Which probably explains why all of the above blogs are well written, well thought out affairs. What kinds of blogs are your favourites?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

YAAAAY JONAAAAS!!! XD

this counts as a comment, right Ced?

Eli James said...

Yeah it does. *wink*

Let's see what Jonas has to say.

Kamigoroshi said...

I'm flattered by your recommendation. I'm not exactly good yet though, but I'm still trying to be better. There is a lot to work on being a personal blog.

You got to tell the story of your life and not every one of us are born to be writers. Some of us just have to keep working at it. :)

One day at a time I guess. :)

Sam said...

I am pleasantly surprised that I read three out of the four blogs you listed Ced. Seeing as how you normally read blogs I've never Heard of.
=)

k said...

er MINE.

-kim

Unknown said...

I've only read ONE out of the 4