Sunday, September 02, 2007

Cakes cakes cakes

I realised it's been ages since I've posted a Makan post here in BUGS. Last time I used to have more of a predisposition towards savoury food, now I've developed quite a sweet tooth. Oh Mark & Spencers biscuits, why are you oh so tempting, milk chocolate digestives, jaffa cookies... Thank goodness they are only available at Suria KLCC and One Utama at KL.

Anyway, why is it I wonder, that the Secret Recipe in Kuching just isn't the same as the one at KL. I would have thought franchises have standards. Going to Secret Recipe at KL last week was a pleasant surprise, first the prices are lower than at Kuching. Secondly, they definitely have more variety. I tried this Raspberry Cheese Cake, it's the one on the right in the photo.

This variant we definitely do not find in Kuching. This was unexpectedly good, cheesy, raspberry goodness with a chocolatey base. On the left in the photo is Chocolate Indulgence that my brother insisted on ordering. Good also, but not my favourite. What I ordered was one of the "health cakes". I know I know.. you're thinking how can I go to Secret Recipe and order something like that? But it's seriously great, the low sugar Peach Cream Cake I ordered. There were pieces of "sweet but not too sweet" peaches in fluffy, light sponge cake and covered in a subtly sweet light meringue.

Then just on Friday, somehow ended up at Secret Recipe again, this time at Kuching. Somehow pales in comparison, or perhaps we chose the wrong type of cake. Had Marble Cheese and Carrot Cheese cake. My brother doesn't look like he's liking the cake that much in this photo, but that's just my offhand timing at taking this photo. He actually gobbled it up. Guys...


But after all that, I'd have to say this home-made cheese cake my friend made for another friend's birthday yesterday could give Secret Recipe a run for their money. Looks so good, you wouldn't have known it's home-made. I helped to cut it nicely... Unofficial cake cutter at birthdays. Haha. Training for future dissections?

Anyway, this cake also tasted as good as it looks. Chocolatey, peanut-buttery, cheesy sweetness. The birthday girl liked it so much she brought home the remainder not eaten. I guess she was also touched by the effort put into making the cake. See... it doesn't take that much money to touch a girl's heart, it takes effort. Haha.

The last two photos in this post were taken by my new SE W610i. It should do for now, before my camera comes back from the hospital.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Read read read...

WAIT...

WHAT?! YOU BOUGHT AN SE?! WHEN?! WHERE?!!!

wandkey said...

Yes, I have betrayed the Nokia camp at long last. Forgive me my kuai shun. I just got it that week at KL. Brought it to bbq.. guess you didn't see it.

kVys2o0o said...

hahahaha.. Exactly the qs i wanted to ask!

YOU BOUGHT A NEW PHONE!@@@ hahaha.. why we all duno?! issh issh...

owh.. happy joining COLOUR phone :D owh.. CAMERA phone.. OWH. hahaha..

wandkey said...

Because I don't haolien my phone bah.. And what happy joining colour phone, my old phone was a colour phone too. ISH.