Monday, August 27, 2007

Of Photo Opportunities Almost Missed and Eye Opening Experiences

This was just one of those photography moments when you realise how much luck and chance play in capturing photos. Had I not raise my head after dragging my already worn out feet from Suria KLCC to the KL Convention Centre, had it not been for my mother who wanted to take a photo near that area... I may have missed this shoot.

I just LOVE this photo. In case you can't see it clearly, it's actually a photo of the famous Merdeka scene, with the man who fought for our nation's independence shouting "Merdeka!" on that fateful day, 31st August 1957, all this on the big glass windows of the Convention Centre. And there, reflected on the windows, are the tallest buildings of our country, the Petronas Twin Towers.

What an amazing difference between then and now, have we not come far? I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride of being Malaysian and all that, or perhaps it was also the realisation that this would have been something to share in this blog.

Just that afternoon, I reckon I was brainwashed a bit which led to such feelings, hehe. Whilst my parents were shopping at excruciating pace, my sister and I wandered the aforementioned shopping complex and by luck, again, we chanced upon an art exhibition held in conjunction with National Day at the Petronas Gallery, which I didn't even know existed. It was on the 3rd level, away from the crowds on one end of the shopping complex. Here, the dimmed lights and muted surroundings provided the environment to showcase the exhibitions which ranged from modern art, old school photographs made into collages, more traditional paintings, and a whole section about the buildings built when our country gained independence such as the Stadium Merdeka, House of Parliaments and National Museum. And there were cushy couches to sit on in a section too, bliss after a day's shopping.

There was even an art piece, with nothing but prose typed out, lamenting the state of literature in our country. I can't explain how exactly, but it was cool.

The whole experience was just so.. refreshing, for lack of a better word. That's what Malaysia really is about isn't it? A medley of varying experiences all in one place, and the exhibition being kind of a microcosm of it. Well, so ends my post, with a photo that I hope some may see meaning in as I have.

And do check out the exhibition if you can, it's on till the 30th of this month. It may be small, but hey, good things do come in small sizes too. Admission's free, in case anyone was wondering. Haha. We are Malaysians afterall.

4 comments:

Eli James said...

That was a beautiful post, Wen. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with small things come in small packages, for whatever reason

wandkey said...

dienasty: It's true what they say, travelling is inspiring to writing. And when the writing bug strikes, just got to let it out. Heh.

Andrew: Yes, small things can come in small packages, agreed.

Anonymous said...

oh, too lil pics, wished 2 c more of the exibition.