Monday, March 19, 2007

School-triggered Nostalgia

Today, I went back to SMK St Thomas, which I can now call my previous school, to get some documents certified. Being there sure triggered a lot of memories. After I came back, as I was searching for photos for a blog post, a few photos taken at school caught my eye.

Now this photo, taken in a different angle from most of the photos shown of this school block, shows how the school is surrounded by so much greenery. And tables and benches are strategically located underneath the shady trees should students ever feel the urge to study outdoors. In fact, this school block is the oldest in the school, which is no mean feat considering our school is the first secondary school built in the state and founded in 1848.

Okay, enough of that commentary..

Here’s a funnier photo. The UGSers after the annual prize giving ceremony, decided to camwhore and there’s no better seat in the house than these plush, cushioned armchairs right in front of the school hall’s stage. Ah Kong Kenny immediately assumed his position in the VIP’s seat right in the middle, as expected. And after everyone was seated, Ben, the youngest of the lot of us (only form 2 then!) had no where else to sit and had to stand behind Kenny, looking much like a …. Hehe.


Next, we proceeded to posing on the stage, everybody had their own poses. There was (from left to right) Kenny looking very authoritative, Ben looking very victorious, me looking out of place, Paul looking cool as a cucumber, Aldrin not looking very Thomian sans uniform, Cedric looking chummy with Tay beside him. Haha. What an odd looking bunch, with me being the odd one out.


Sekolah Saint Thomas. There, that’s proof that I did not remember wrongly and the school was indeed founded in 1848. And beneath the sign, there’s a huge banner which is changed every year. In 2006 last year, it beared this purple banner with the battlecry “Honour and Glory”, the last battlecry done by the previous principal, Mr Peter Foo, who has since migrated to greener pastures in Australia.

So there goes my post about my previous school. It has been a memorable one year and a half there doing my form 6. If anyone asks whether I regret going for form 6, I can confidently answer "no" because of this school.

11 comments:

Eli James said...

Yes. Nostalgia is good for the heart.

Man am i going to love/hate this school when i go back.

Tze Lun said...

Every time someone mentions St. Thomas, I get reminded of my own school... naturally.

It was a bit odd to see a girl in "St. Thomas" though, because my St. Thomas is an all-boy school. No offence intended.

Anonymous said...

Ahh......St. Thom......kinda miss it already......a fresh new experience/change from kch high....where i meet new friends and deeping bonds.......yup, misses it.........

Sam said...

Haha, makes me wonder how much I'll mis St Mary's when I leave. We have two "Thomians" here.

St Thom, Kuching.
St Thom, Kuantan.

I wonder how many other St Thom's there are in Msia.

St Thom, Kota Kinabalu?

(Just to fit in with the K's) =)

Eli James said...

Lol. There's a medical school in Ireland called St Thom too. And in Farenheit, a game that i've just finished (aaargh lousy ending), the indigo child is from St Thomas's - an orphanage.

Why am i even spouting this info? Urgh.

wandkey said...

Ced, I agree, it's a love/hate relationship. One moment you hate it, then the next you love it. Haha.

Tze Lun, St Thomas here is also an all-boys school from form 1 to form 5 level.. Only form 6 is co-ed.

Zhe Rong, miss school so much eh? Didn't go back to visit?

Sam, I don't think there's any St Thomas in KK. Been there twice, don't remember seeing or hearing of it.

Andrew said...

oh remember.. theres d primary st. thomas too! =)

no doubt having a tight diciplin system sucks.. but.. having pondans as ur friend is fun! aha

Eli James said...

Not fun lah - but they're an accepted part of St Thom life. Which helps if nobody in class wants to decorate and clean up. >.<

Andrew said...

ehe.. nt necessary dat its good.. sometimes.. those who often freaked out r those kind of guys.. but. at least there's a hands on experience wif.. girl-like kind of boys.. rite?

Eli James said...

Ehheh. I'll leave the ladies to verify the credibility of that statement. >.<

Aquavires said...

That's sweet, Wen Qi. ^_^

Cedric: There's also a St Thomas More College here in Perth, attached to the Uni of Western Australia ^_^