Friday, July 06, 2007

LOLcats


The internet has its fair share of idiosyncrasies and weird fads ... but I do not get this particular one.

LOLcats is an internet phenomenon (or a now significant part of net culture): a wacky brand of picture editing humour that isn't at all funny.

Well, at least to me.


The pictures are really just cute animals doing crazy (non-animal-like) things, and are subtitled with Bad English. Anil's definition of LOLcats:


This relatively recent phenomenon is the convention of taking pictures of cute animals, most frequently cats, and overlaying absurdist captions on the images.

It's supposed to crack people up, and the geek communities I sometimes visit regularly post LOLcats in their forum posts just to make a point.


Some are cute, some are downright annoying. Others make me wince. I don't know whether to laugh, or to cry.


Go check out I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER, which is a repository of hundreds of LOLcats. I go there once every few months.

Just out of curiosity, mind. I don't get it! At all!


Urgh.

1 comment:

Tze Lun said...

It involves cats.
How can I not say anything.

But not today.
Some other day perhaps.