Sunday, July 15, 2007

UGS Life Cafe Lunch and Harry Potter Movie Gathering

Yesterday’s UGS gathering could use these following words to be described:

Chaotic
Fun
Loud
Claustrophobic
Quiet and distant, some were
Gay
Let down
Funny
Insightful

For me, the gathering started as I saw Sam and Nicole walking into St Thomas to find me, Kenny and Paul. The later two who had not arrived just yet. We waited under the big, green parasol on the wooden garden seating set while Sam as usual whipped out her camera and all of us were on the point of melting in the hot, noon time conditions. Before long, Kenny and Paul did arrive and we went off to visit some UGSers at L6S4. Kenny, needless to say, attracted attention from the teachers, many of whom said he had really slimmed down and they were amazed. When we did arrive at L6S4, too bad they weren’t having their free period, in fact they were having their weekly, 4-period long chemistry. Called out Jylene from the “prison” while the two other UGSers inside were probably wishing they could escape as well. Haha. Tough luck, guys.

When we did eventually go over to Life Café for lunch, Daniel gave me a bit of a shock by rushing out from behind me and tapping me on the arm after we got down from the car. When we got in, I was faced with the stark reality that no way were all of us going to fit into the space available, the turn out was far better than I expected.

There were 15 of us I think. Kenny, Cedric, Sam, Nicole, Andrew, Ben, Dwen, Jeryl, Tay, Daniel, Paul, Danny, Angel, Ravin and I turned up for the lunch itself. Though only 11 went to watch Harry Potter later on.

Lunch was for one thing, chaotic. At times, I felt like I was placed in the Kiddy Area, especially since the seating area was the “no shoes allowed”, “sit on the floor till your legs go numb” area. Forgive me, I’m not always this pessimistic. But sometimes being too observant or in the know can really be... Let’s just say, ignorance really is bliss sometimes. All in all, even within a small group, the dynamics of interpersonal relationships can be very complicated, that much can be said.

There was four distinct groups of people, one the big kids, one the incessant talkers and laughers. Two other groups had to be separated and sat at the back of the café, one of which was the serious discussioners and the other the Hokkien chatters. Mind boggling? Not really. But indeed chaotic.

Half way through lunch, it started raining. Even the weather wasn’t helping, and we ended up walking across the road to Star Cineplex in the rain. After a bit of hassle about the seating, the movie did finally begin.

At the start, for a moment, I was thinking, am I in the right movie theatre? There were showing a field.. I was expecting aliens and crop circles any moment. Then they did show Harry, though everything was muddled up, and if you didn’t read the book, or forgot about most of it like I did, you probably would be quite blur throughout the movie.

I know I’m not really concentrating on the movie at times when I think things like.. “How come a lot of the characters are wearing striped shirts?”, “Hey, I’m going to be going there next time maybe (when they were showing shots of London)” , “Harry’s good looks are marred by that hair cut” or “Who’s that famous British actress that acts as Sybil?”

And during the movie, the two people sitting next to me, Nicole and Tay were sniffling and sneezing, “Year Play” been taxing? Heh. After what seemed quite a long time at times, the movie finally ended. Yea, no spoilers here. The general consensus was that the movie wasn’t as good as previous ones. Daniel gave it a 1/10 rating. Andrew was more kind, giving it a 3/10.

After a quick photo shoot and some of them left first. And that was that. Next gathering, end of August ok? Hint hint wink wink.


I didn't manage to take any photos since my dear cam has to be admitted into hospital, again. For photos, please request from BUGGER Sam.

4 comments:

kVys2o0o said...

Lolx.. It was a great gathering. Just sad that I didn't spend much time around with you guys. Next time muz find somewhere can fit us all in :D Lolx!~ didn't expect so many people to turn up lolx!~

hmm... looking forward to the next gathering in August..

wandkey said...

Yea, neither did I expect so many. 14 people, broke the record!

August gathering, I guess it's up to me to plan again arh? Ah well..

kVys2o0o said...

hahaha.. since it's specially for you :D

This time I would suggest a home gathering? haha.. Since it's more appropriate where we can have more interaction.

Sam said...

=)

I'm glad the initial difficulty of getting people to show up is gone. I mean, we used to have to do a lot of...persuading to get people to come!