Sunday, April 01, 2007

Camera woes

I have thus far handled quite a few cameras from different ranges including my family's and friends', but not any as good as a dSLR, and I’ve discovered that I don’t think I would ever find a camera that can truly satisfy me. Well, my darling camera used to be just enough for my photographing needs. But after the incident where it suffered a fatal concussion caused my none other than my dad, things were never the same after it came back from a three month recuperation at hospital at KL.

Well, I have a Casio Exilim Z110 that I got one year and four months ago. I used to love using the high sensitivity mode, where you can capture pictures without flash even in dimly lit places. Now, taking pictures using that mode in low light areas just translates into blurry photos, and I swear that it wasn’t my hands shaking that caused it.

Using a camera is much like getting to know a person, you discover what works for it, and what doesn’t and all its many quirks. My camera is one picky, hard to understand creature. Taking photos is like a gamble now, you never know when you might end up with something really good, or something really bad.

Example:
I took a photo of an Easter Bunny that my aunt from Australia brought over. First, I used the High Sensitivity mode. This is how it turned out… Very blah.

Then, I used flash with it. And it turned out quite cool.

After working around with my camera, I found out that it does very badly in dimly lit places and flourescent light places, and the flash just makes people look weird. Or perhaps I have the settings wrong? I don’t know. I don’t remember it being this bad prior to The Incident.

However, it seems to perform much better in natural light places, preferably bright natural light.

When I used the Nikon Coolpix P4 that my dad got when the Casio one got spoilt, it did well in most lightings. However, the main problem was its very slow shutter speed which resulted in blurriness if there is even the slightest movement of subjects in the photo, or the camera itself. Plus, the ISO was very low, with the maximum being 40.

Now, why am I writing all these? I’m hoping that there is someone out there who could help me with my camera woes. Is it my camera taking skills that are so terrible, or my camera at fault? I used to be able to take decent looking photos. Sigh…

Ah, here’s a photo for you all to feast your eyes on after reading my “rant”. I took it on my trip to Bali with the Nikon camera. Enjoy…

No comments: