Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Science and Maths? Sains dan Matematik?

I am now 19 and I have been taught science and mathematics in three languages, English, Malay and Mandarin. How did this come to be?

Well, I went to Chinese primary school where I learnt basic science and maths in Mandarin. Went to government secondary school where until Form 5, I learnt the two subjects in Malay. And then, the education system changed in 2002 and the whole system was revamped so that science and maths is taught using English from primary to secondary school. I was spared the transition until Form 6 when I had to relearn all the terms in English.

Undoubtedly, it was not that smooth a transition, there were many things that had to be relearned, even basic terms in maths such as knowing that “What is the product of 2 and 3?” means “2 multiplied by 3”. Simple stuff like that, to learning that “conical flask is kelalang kon”. For some, it was challenging to adapt to learning the two subjects in English, to say the least.

After so many years of being under this Malaysian education system, I do not have much complaints. Afterall, if such a system can produce students worthy of going to world-renowned universities and later become successful and useful citizens of the nation, something must be going right. And yes, students who go for Form 6 and sit for STPM can even get into Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Yale and the like, Malaysia Boleh!

Recently however, the education ministry has announced plans that it is considering going back to teaching science and mathematics in Malay, just like the old days, which raises many issues.

First and foremost, I’d like to give my two cents on this. I’m very grateful that I had the chance to learn science and maths in English in form 6, better late than never. It is better than having to relearn those subjects in English later on in university, which would be a very hard transition to make. And the kids in schools nowadays, they have been learning science and maths using English ever since Primary 1. Getting them to change back to using Malay is not impossible but is it the best decision?

I’m sure the government has their valid reasons for this proposal, but what do you think?

Nevertheless, whatever the decision of the government will be, I am quite sure that the students will probably take it in good stride. They have shown themselves to be good at adapting to the changes made in the education system, whether major or minor. Time will tell whether the decisions made are for the better or worse.

11 comments:

kVys2o0o said...

Urhhh.. another issue on this.

As always, we are just used for experiment. This is what our gov does all the time. Implement something without proper planning, and before they fix the problem... they either make it even worse or withdraw the whole thing.

Who is going to suffer in future? Us!

Just like NS... before they solve the current problems that happen, they want to prolong the 3 months NS to 2 years -_-" I wonder what would happen if only for three months, many cases happen... what more to say 2 years.

Honestly, I found it hard to adopt the transition for the first week. I actually do my best... I read everyday, I try to cope... and now I don't find any problem in understanding the subjects in English. Perhaps, the next thing I should worry is whether I can apply it during exam.

Sam said...

If the government really does revert. Then I hope they will be satisfied seeing as how they've made the "leaders of tomorrow" go backwards.

Obviously not forwards. English is growing. B.M is NOT. The chances of B.M becoming an international language...or a widely used language outside the Malaysian region is nil...to...nil?

Anonymous said...

I think what they meant is reverting the language medium for sc/math back to its original state for primary school.....(means mother tongue education)

But if it is for secondary that it is so BLUEK..........

Andrew said...

BM=siti nurhaliza=dead

its fun learning stuff in English.. Poor uneducated malays

kVys2o0o said...

... and do you guys actually know that we AREN'T allow to comment anything or raise anything regardin teaching Science in English?

Our beloved *cough* PM actually codified one act that state any individual who raises this issue may be taken to court under Sedition Act 1948.

So lame isn't it?

wandkey said...

I guess we are all going to court then. Oh no! Should we remove this post then, Boss? Haha.

Anonymous said...

no lar.....wait until we got really sued then BUGS will be famous........(ok just joking)

Sam said...

We just did a little survey today that was from the government on the implementation of Science and Maths in English. How we found it, can cope anot and so on.

Oh No! The government has to sue themselves~!

wandkey said...

Good to see the government is doing such a survey.

And since the Boss of BUGS has not said anything so far, I think this post is here to stay.

Eli James said...

It is. Nicely written Wen. (I am sooo outdated)

wandkey said...

Thank you, dienasty. This blog post could have gone on longer though, there are so many things that could be said about this topic. However, I rather not write more or this would be more of a rant post.