Sunday, April 08, 2007

Kuching PC Fair April 2007

This weekend, I went to Kuching’s PC fair twice, yes twice. Thanks to my friend Heidi who drove us. The first time we went there on the first day of the fair, we managed to go one round around the place within 20 minutes, which included the time taken for another friend of mine to get a laptop hard disk 80GB housing which was RM16. That friend has been studying in Kuala Lumpur for two years already and when she came to our fair, she was like “Is this it?”. Comparatively speaking, the PC fair here is tiny since the one in KL encompasses several floors and the range available is a lot wider.

For some time now, friends have been bugging me to get a mic or headset, yea the BUGGERS have been bugging me to. Since lately they have taken a liking to having Skype conferences which involves me listening and TYPING, while the rest talk. Quite an inconvenience. So, there I was at the fair, searching for something within my budget that was good enough. I was in a blur, the crowded spaces with people squirming through, stalls hawking all sorts of goods, and numbers everywhere, an indication of the “low” prices and special offers. As can be expected, I walked out of the PC fair empty-handed. I hate this thing about myself and shopping, I never end up getting much even if I want to. Somehow my inborn trait of thriftyness is hard to overcome.

So, the day after, Saturday, my friends and I went off to Damai beach for the weekend, more about that in my personal blog later. On Sunday, we came back to Kuching and were off to the PC fair again. Supposedly, the goods are cheaper on the last day of the fair as they try to clear off the stock, thus explaining why we there for the second time.

This time, the place was really really packed, we walked around the place so many times trying to look for something worth buying, but moving about was difficult, to say the least. I think I accidentally “molested” people, and I was like trying to keep minimal physical contact with the people around. Yikes. And people traffic was slow slow slow.

Okay, back to the point, I was trying to look for a headset yet again. Earlier on had been given allowance yet still.. thriftyness took over again. I saw Logitech ones… too expensive, Phillips.. same, Creative... nope, some ocipala China made ones.. lousy, didn’t see any Sony ones. My friend quickly made two purchases: a TV tuner costing RM133 and a 250GB SATA HDD that cost RM380, which put on the pressure to find my thing quickly. In the end, settled for a Sonic Gear mic that costs RM13, originally RM18. I know! I’m such a cheapskate! I’m not proud of it… Ended up handing back the allowance money I had since I only got that. Somebody, teach me to be a spendthrift! Haha.

Well, that’s about it about the fair, basically a place for stock clearance and prices seemingly don’t vary much from normal price except for certain items. Conclusion, the next one I’m going to, I’ll make sure it’s the one at Kuala Lumpur. Yes! End of the year can go over as I would probably be studying in KL. Hope I overcome my thriftyness or I’ll end up walking the whole day and come out with next to nothing.

8 comments:

kVys2o0o said...

oh great, finally you got a mic! hahaha...

Welcome to the party friend :D

We don't care whether it's just Rm13 or Rm130.. as long as we can hear you! hahaha..

eh wei, 80GB hard disk for less than rm20?!? U sure?

wandkey said...

Or maybe I heard wrongly, heh. That's what I thought too, how come so cheap. Some kinda external hard disk thing.

Andrew said...

not that cheap.. Rm40-50 got la excluding the casing

Sam said...

Yeahhhh~!!! Now Wen Qi TALKS! No more monologue!

Wen Qi...It was 18 before and you didn't get it? Doi~! You had to suffer silently through TWO sessions (With me in it anyway) for 5 ringgit!!!

LoL~!!

Tze Lun said...

I'll for sure buy 20 units of the 80GB hard disks if they were RM16!!!

On the other hand, the 250GB one is quite expensive over there. I guess it's normal for things there to be slightly more expensive, but I didn't expect them to be 50% more than what they're selling for here.

kVys2o0o said...

so skype conversation tonight? haha

wandkey said...

Kubuk: Yea, I think I seriously misheard what she got. Can't be 80GB for that price.

Sam: I didn't see the mic the first time I went there! Too crowded and everything.

Tze Lun: It's expensive by 50%?! For the 250GB HDD? Oh no.. my friend should have just waited till she got back to KL to get then.

fr3ech: You posted your comment on the day my Internet connection konked out for two days. And only now I get to online.

wandkey said...

Okay... was wrong about some information I posted in this post.

First up, that 80GB thing was a laptop portable HDD housing.
And the 250GB SATA HDD itself was RM260, but the casing cost RM120, which makes it a total of RM380.

Yea, conclusion is, leave blogging about techie stuff to the professionals. *Hint hint*