Friday, April 20, 2007

Kuching Makan Places Episode 3: Scoops

Just yesterday, a friend of mine asked me whether I would like to go to Scoops with her and hang out. I seem to be getting in luck these days, been invited to go to some of the more fancy eateries in Kuching. Which explains the previous few eatery reviews I’ve posted up here in BUGS.

So, yesterday it was Scoops, a gelato bar, probably first of its kind here in Kuching. In fact, first time I’ve been there since it opened last year, partly scared off by the supposedly pricey gelato there. Just before going out, I had been forewarned that the gelato costs RM5 for a single cup. Hmm… much more than the price any ordinary Kuchingnite would pay for ice-cream. But nevertheless, after hearing all the raves and reviews about it, I just had to try it out for myself.

So that was how it came to be that I found myself in front of the counter, faced with a tough decision to make, “Which out of the 14 flavours of gelato should I fork out RM5 for?” Thankfully, they allowed free tasting so you can sample a bit of the gelato there to find out which you would rather have. I think my friend and I sampled almost all of the flavours there.

On that day, there was Dark Chocolate, French Vanilla, Butterscotch, Lychee Sorbet, Avocado, Passionfruit Sorbet, Kiwi Apple, Horlicks, Raspberry Cream, Banana Cheese, Mango Sorbet, Green Tea, Espresso and Tomato flavour. Yes, tomato flavour, I wonder if that would taste funky. Supposedly, the flavours are changed quite often so you get to try different flavours with almost every visit. For a single flavour cup it’s RM5, a double flavour cup costs RM8, and the triple flavour cup I didn’t bother to see the price because I wouldn’t be able to afford it anyway.

Behind the counter, there’s a menu on a lighted board where you can see there are sundaes, cold drinks, hot drinks, gelato cocktails, and kiddy sundaes on offer. Well, the prices range from RM8 to RM15 for the sundaes, and the drinks cost from RM5 to RM10, whilst the cocktails are RM15 each.

And here’s a photo of the menu, I like the silhouette of the glasses against the menu…


All the gelato flavours were pretty strong, so I settled for something a little milder, French Vanilla. Although the Butterscotch was tempting, and so was the Passionfruit Sorbet. Here’s a photo of what I had, and the complimentary glass of water served.

The interior deco of the place is kinda retro modern, I don’t know why this style seems so popular in places these days. Along one side are tables and chairs, all in sleek black. However, my friend and I settled ourselves on the hot pink leather couch in a corner that had some throw cushions. Pretty comfy since there weren’t anybody else there that time except us. Afterall, it was a Thursday morning.

Another photo, note the reflection of the adjacent Hilton Hotel on the glass-topped table.

Well, the gelato there I would say is pretty good, really full of flavour. I could see the black dots of crushed vanilla pods in my gelato, nice… But the price, well, if you want quality, that’s what you have to pay.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Yay! Someone who likes Scoops too. The flavours are too strong for some of my friends. Maybe because they're so used to ordinary ice-cream.

YOU SHOULD HAVE TRIED THE DARK CHOCOLATE!!!!

=(

I want~!!!

wandkey said...

It was 11am, I was not in the mood for super rich, super sweet dark chocolate. Some other time perhaps.

Tze Lun said...

I can't differentiate a one ringgit cone sundae and a 7-ringgit fancy icecream.

Except the 7-ringgit one is a lot more colourful! :D

wandkey said...

Well tze lun, at least you're not colour blind. Your taste buds however may need testing. Haha.