Thursday, April 05, 2007

Kuching Makan Places Episode 1: Bla bla bla

Last Sunday, it was one of my friend’s birthday so we went over to Bla bla bla for drinks. It was my first time there and after hearing all the raves and reading bloggers’ reviews about it, my expectations of the place were quite high. Sadly, my camera failed me in the dimly lit surroundings, I apologise for the following photos posted in this post which due to my stubborness of not wanting to use much flash, turned out this way.

This is the only photo that is really clear since it’s taken previously in bright daylight when I was in the car passing by the place.

The interior deco of the place is quite unique in Kuching, with a courtyard in the middle of the shop with water features, plantings and stepping blocks placed so you can cross the courtyard over the water feature. The kitchen is situated in the middle part of the shop, which leaves the back free for seating which is quite private, and totally not noticeable from the main road. In fact, it’s so quiet and dim, you could doze off there. Heh. We went on a Sunday night, so the place was quite empty.

The menu has a variety of drinks, from ice-blended drinks, imported bottled drinks, flavoured teas, coffee, to liquor mixes. I didn’t really take notice of the food available since I was only there for drinks, oh well. But I noticed the cake selection near the entrance as we were walking in, there are the usual cheese cakes, yoghurt cheese cakes, chocolate cakes, some vanilla pudding thing and some other cakes that I didn’t really take notice of, I was too eager to just get inside then.

Okay, time for some photos…

The main source of lighting at the seating area at the back, the rest of the area is lit by candlelight. Notice the ceiling is covered with natural material, adds a local touch.


The tables on one side are for couple seating whereas the other side has larger tables and a cushioned bench lined up against the length of the wall.



A closer look at one of the marble-topped table lit by candlelight. I forgot how to toggle the ISO and everything to get a better photo, have much to learn.


My drink, vanilla shake, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Now, if only they had this in other flavours as well. Cost RM6.50, not inclusive of 5% GST, the ice-blended drinks were all around that price.



The blueberry cheese cake, which tasted rather gelatinous and not that cheesy but was good anyway. I didn’t know the price was RM9 till the bill came later. Gasp. The 5 of us who went shared this though.


Later when we were walking back to the car, passed by another eatery, The Junk. The place seems to have limited seating till some tables have to be placed outside. And I noticed that the tables used outside are none other than the old-school kind of wooden tables commonly found in primary schools here. Gee… Imagine going for a date sitting at tables like these feeling like kids, eating dishes priced at hotel price. Somehow doesn’t seem to go together. Perhaps those seatings outside are for the smokers going for drinks. Hmm..

6 comments:

Eli James said...

Nice pictures, Wen Qi. It captures the ambience of the place - that is, dark and fuzzy.

;P

Sam said...

I understand your pain Wen Qi.

When I went there a yr ago with my camera...It was torture. Torture...I sat there and placed my camera on every solid I could find and the waiters gave my funny looks.

Doi~

wandkey said...

Yes Ced, the place is dark and fuzzy. You can hardly see what is going on.

Sam, there were a bunch of waiters there and they didn't give us funny looks despite our camwhoring and all that. Perhaps they are immune to it by now.

Eli James said...

Yeah. What with the lack of places to go and camwhore in Kuching. ;P

Anonymous said...

hey i like bla bla bla!!!! i really like eating there!!!

wandkey said...

Surprise surprise seeing jylene comment here. Hello! Next time if I ever do go there, I'll try out the food. Haha.