Monday, April 16, 2007

Malaysian Blogs: (Where) Got Nice To Read

Blogs. The democratization of media. The mouthpiece of many. The bane of our authoritarian government.

If you're a typical Malaysian blog reader you'd have stopped after the above statement and permanently marked this blog off as 'serious stuff lah, no nice to read'. I'm sitting over at the Swinburne computer lab writing this post (sorry for the lack of images, I'll go home and add later on) and a guy in front of me just finished reading through Kennysia, Xiaxue and Smashpop, in that order.

No Jeff Ooi.

No Huffington Post.

No O' Reilly.

No thinking blogs of any manner.

The guy is scrolling through Xiaxue again. I see a lot of rabbits. Why in the world would a discerning, intelligent college student scroll through pictures of rabbits?

There is this phenomenon in the Malaysian blogosphere. I call it the Got Nice To Read frame of mind. According to this theory, the most widely read blogs in the Malaysian blogosphere must have the following qualities:

1. Have lots of big pictures. Everywhere. In every post. With every line. Take Kenny Sia (disclosure: I'm an ardent fan of Kennysia, for reasons I can't yet fathom), for example. Picture after picture after picture ... of himself swimming, running, his iPod, his trip to Egypt. Little words.

2. Blogger behind blog must be a camwhore. This means lots of pictures of the said blogger. Showing off his/her new nose, his/her new BF/GF, his/her new haircut. Us Malaysians love peering into the nose hairs and body cavities of our internet idols.

3. Must Review Food/Toilet Bowls. Almost all successful Malaysian blogs have to have one or more posts about food. Chickenricenasilemakburgertimes. I contribute this to the fact that Malaysia is one country where fist fights can start over where to find the best Laksa. Toilet bowls? We Malaysians are discerning people, and we guard the thrones housing our butt cheeks very protectively.

4. Must write about superficial topics. You're not a Malaysian a-lister if you write about real, happening topics that affect everyone. You can write about how you won the recent Nasi Lemak eating competition, you can write about how much you've spent in Blook. But the instant you start subjective analysis about the democratization of media and the New Education Policy people start running away from you and your blog like you've contracted the plague.

5. Must write little. If writing about superficial topics isn't bad enough, most successful Malaysian bloggers write little. They post up hundreds of pictures, but their commentary on recent social issues are usually 1-5 liners. Why? I've no idea. Our eyes are not made for text. We have attention spans of a 3 year old. We are Malaysians.

Consumer consumption in Bolehland rocks. Big time.

Let me make this post clear: I'm not saying these blogs are lousy. I'm not saying Kenny Sia's and Xiaxue's and Smashpop's blogging styles are wrong, or can be improved upon. There is no such thing as a correct blogging style, just as there is no right way to write novels. All I'm saying is that I'm sick of it. Why can't we have good, topical bloggers writing about local issues that maintain a degree of integrity? Why aren't we reading more of these blogs?

Andrew Ho is perhaps the greatest single example of this. He caters for Malaysian readers who don't want to think. I love his posts, I really do. I read them frequently. But that's because he's a friend, and I read all my friends blogs.

When I give him a link to, say, Dooce (who was nominated for a writing award early this year), he rejects. He's started rejecting all the thinking blog links and industry news blogs I've been sending to him.

So far I've only found two Malaysian bloggers who write beautifully, with substance, and with depth (not politics, like Jeff, who is in a league of his own). One of them is a pleasant (and much needed) breath of fresh air: Zewt, who writes about social issues in a way that most of us Malaysians can understand. I like the way he handles issues, starts discussions, and am very glad he did not go down the many photo little words path.

The other is Kamigoroshi, aka Edrei Zahari. He's now one of the leaders of the Personal community over at 9Rules, the blogging network that places quality above all other factors.

Some of the bloggers there are incredibly influential.

A lot of them command multinational audiences that make Xiaxue and Kenny Sia and Smashpop (and all the other blogs we read and many imitate), seem pathetic.

But we're not reading them.

We're not imitating them.

Why?

Bolehland prevails.

9 comments:

Kamigoroshi said...

Hehe, you kinda misspelled my last name though. :)

You have a point, though I guess in the end, I don't cater to a specific niche (mainly because I'm a personal blog), I just write and if anyone wants to read, we'll let them read.

That way it doesn't detract quality because everything comes out naturally. And I guess for those of us that don't care who reads it and do what we like to do, that quality shows.

Eli James said...

Sorry, Edrei. I was numb and cold in the Swinburne labs, and I just couldn't proofread fast enough.

I'll correct it ASAP.

Oh, and I never placed you in a niche ;P ... you're a personal blogger and that's one of the best things out there. Keep blogging.

saykhia said...

You weren't supposed to be using the computers, even =P

Ah, well. Well, said, Ced. Writing quality down, cheapness quality up. Cheapness rocking the scene. That's Malaysia!

Eli James said...

We're cheap! Jual Murah! Sale! Wee ...

And as usualy nothing gets done about it. Time and evolving tastes, perhaps?

*sighs*

wandkey said...

Cedric, in times of stress and after a long day at work/school, would you rather settle down with War and Peace or a manga?

That's the thing. Most Malaysian readers read blogs for entertainment purposes. Thus explaining why blogs such as Kennysia, Xiaxue, Smashpop and the like appeal to the common Malaysian blog reader.

Photos, minimal text, nice layout, it all makes for easier readability. And bloggers know that the easier it is to read a blog, the more likely people will read it.

Advertisements are placed to attract your attention, if you fail to grapse what an ad filled with big words and no photos is saying within a few seconds, you most likely wouldn't want to bother. Same goes with blogs, magazines, and sadly, books.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments....I do not comprehend ppls obsession with blogs that go on and on bout themselves.......

For eg..one can view my frustration at one of zewt's latest post http://zewt.blogspot.com/2007/04/its-been-really-long-time-since-i-last.html

My frustration is at the readers who in the comments section talk bout their KFC moments rather than focus on the big picture of vote buying or doing the morally right thing? Are the readers taht SHALLOW?

Is this the future of BOLEHLAND...if so may god have mercy on all of us....

Eli James said...

@Wandkey, actually I spent days tired from studying for the SPM rereading LOTR. And War and Peace is more fun than you think - the characters are all fleshed out.

Perhaps a better example would be 'Would I read Darwin's papers on evolution after a long day at work/school?'

No, I would not.

But does this mean that Malaysian readers should actively go out of their way to avoid those thinking blogs that deal with real, relevant social issues?

No? Yet I have many friends that reject my links to blogs with a little philosophy in them (nevermind that they were beautifully written and quite tongue in cheek).

It is sad, but we can change that - write an eclectic mix of serious and superficial posts.

@Economist: Like you, I was shaking my head in bewilderment ... why was everyone talking about Chicken OR Recipes?

Yes, there are readers that shallow. Maybe that's why Edrei/Kamigoroshi writes for an international audience. Or at least his blog is more influential outside of Malaysia.

Such a strange world we live in.

Sam said...

With my school schedule, my attention span and my debt to sleep...Long posts...or short posts with loads of meanings are a bit hard to catch.

But...If it's on one of the blogs that I blog hop in...
That's a different story altogether. (Makes reading blogs sound like such a responsibility! LoL~!)

conan_cat said...

now this post sure got me thinking... are malaysian bloggers AND readers really that shallow?

i think ced made a point there... after a long day of work we would just like to read blogs for entertainment, and lighthearted blogs will be a better read just for fun.

i agree that we should strive for a balance between the two extremes of the weight--serious and funny. i guess we can all work on that... :)

and yeah i'll work on that too... haha