Sunday, December 31, 2006

The 8th UGS Gathering

This was pretty much a spur of the moment thing, deciding to have a gathering on the last day of 2006, just before some UGSers head for National Service tomorrow, and school starts next week. So, to the people who did go, Cedric, Kenny, Danny, Tay, Jylene, Jeryl, Benjamin, Angeline and Garrick, good on you guys for making it on such short notice.. And thanks especially for Cedric and Kenny for helping to inform everyone. If Kenny is going to blog about this, probably going to mention how many people he has had to chauffeur for the gathering. Haha. Thanks anyway.

First stop was at Star cineplex, where the plan was to catch the so called "most terrifying movie of the year", The Host. Due to some mix up, we ended up in the wrong cinema hall, wasn't until few minutes of seeing Amber Chia on screen did we realise "Posessed" was on. So, half of the gang moved over next door to catch The Host, albeit 20 minutes late. The other half of the gang, tsk tsk, wasted RM9 to watch the Malaysian made movie that should only cost RM5 to watch. Well, The Host isn't all too bad. Have to confess that it's the first horror movie and first Korean movie I've watched at the cinemas. Actually, it isn't all too much of a horror, more of a thriller. In fact, the most cringing moment was watching the medical team extract tissue sample from the main character from the collarbone area using a syringe, which should be done with the patient under general anaesthetic, however the person seemed to be immune to anaesthetic. All in all, it's a movie that requires some afterthought to realise it's significance.

After the movie, another problem cropped up, where to eat. Seems a bit ridiculous, considering that Kuching is a heaven for good cheap eats, but it's actually quite tough to find somwhere that can accomodate everyone's preferences. Plus, the rain did somehow made things worse, had to figure out to get from one place to another. Finally, we did settle on going to the Philipino place at Padungan Road, Pinoy something something, I couldn't get its name. Food there isn't all too bad, but servings were kinda small, considering the price. Don't know whether the guys felt full after that meal, I don't think I did. Haha. Oh but nevermind, it's nice to try new things for a change.

So there the 11 of us were, including Angeline's friend, Aricka, all in some kinda shady looking Philipino eatery, the rain pouring outside, and foreign Philipino karaoke music blaring in the background. A bit surreal. As usual, I guess I kinda clammed up, tend to get a bit quiet at these gatherings, what with such noisy, boisterous people around. Plus, it's interesting to hear them talk, and observe. Haha.
There was Cedric, with his self mantra, "I'm a blogger", while he snapped photo after photo of the food and people. And there was Jylene, the person who introduced us to the eatery and ordered our food for us with confidence that only an experienced person could have, I have no idea how to pronounce all those weird food names. Then there was Angeline, who was watching as her brother, Benjamin was obviously not following his diet. Not to mention, Tay, who just had to showcase his gadgets, his Sony T30, blue Ipod Nano, nokia 6630, but somehow his usual companion the sony ericsson w800i was absent. Certainly an interesting lot of people.

Okay, sorry for the lack of photos, the current pc I'm using is going to be replaced next week as it's too ancient and can't be fixed, been with me for about 6 years. So, until I get my new pc, wouldn't be uploading and posting any new photos. Ah, can barely wait to experience what dual core performance is like...

11 comments:

Eli James said...

Ahh! Thank you for making the spur of the moment possible. And thank you for saying thank yous, it helped me to not say thank you in my post, adn to put up more pics.

Happy new year, Wen!

wandkey said...

Well, I like being polite and saying my thank yous. Why, thank you for saying I said thank you. Haha.

Happy New Year, Cedric!
Please do not call me Wen. Thank you.

kVys2o0o said...

haha... Nah, it's my pleasure to give you guys a ride *cough2 - u noe hw many litres of petrol I wasted sending you guys around and around?* mwhahahaha...

Nah.. won't blog about the gathering. Actually I planned to blog about it in my 2006 remark post haha... We HAD 7 Gatherings in a a year :D Shall be more next year! hahaha...

anyway, Happy New Year everyone... next gathering? hmm... waiting...

kVys2o0o said...

oh i forgot.. you agree with the food eh? haha.. heck... danny, tay and I ended up at Jln Song eating kolo mee and kueh chap hahaha..

oh..
did I miss out something? Dual core wor!~ haha... I'm waiting yea... *waiting* the new X4 core hahaha

Andrew said...

X4 core? xbox 360 X3 core.. ps3 1 is super computer processor(din mention hw many does it hv)

wandkey said...

Haha. Actually, I didn't really agree with the food. But just trying to be nice...

Oh, got new X4 arh? Haiyer, I'm always a few steps behind technology.

Sam said...

Sob sob. There goes my 100% attendance record.

Anyway =P Congrats on the upgrade of ur com wen qi. Maybe the next time we go to ur hse u'll relent and show off ur new prized possesion?

=P

wandkey said...

No, I don't think so, it's not really much to show off. And the way you're saying it, it's as if you would want to come to my place again, Sam. Hoping for another gathering here? Haha.

kVys2o0o said...

haha... why not? I think we can go around visiting members' houses on CNY :D haha... UGSers who drive can drive around le!~ eh.. cool la wei.. 4th day? haha...

hmm.. yea.. I believe its X4 Core... I dunno what it call, its X4 haha... nt X2.. read it somewhere. Shd be released by first quarter of 2007 :D

Sam said...

Wah, we're not welcome anymore?

wandkey said...

I do not mean you guys are not welcomed, you guys most definitely are. Sure liven up the place. But.. so soon? Haha. I dunno...