Friday, December 22, 2006

Middle of Nowhere; Hot Hot Heat

This song is a definite 'WOOHOO' as it starts out with the song rhythm played with the maracas and i personally think that is a very good sign that the song it is going to be an upbeat, enjoyable, fun song. The keyboard riff is amazing; it's catchy and has a really cute beat to it that makes you smile. However, the most important part of a song, i think, is most definitely the lyrics. Here's a sample of the 1st verse:

Don't get mad if I'm laughing
Blame the caffeine for all the 5 am phone calls
I haven't slept a single night in over a month
And not even once did you start to make sense to me
Well maybe I'm a little bit slow, or just consistently inconsistent
She said, "Unpredictability's my responsibility, baby."

What i really enjoy about this song is that the lyrics are comical but not in a very commercial funny (kick my butt-haha) kind of way. It's subtle humour and it makes sense. I love the way the band writes their lyrics; smart, sensible, light-hearted & amusing. Lyrics aside, the song has a good guitar solo near the end(it makes you want to play the air-guitar). The vocals are good and most importantly, the melody is solid. The drum beats are well versed and the bass is very very well planned. It's a solid, fluid song and it'll get you dancing and it'll most likely make you laugh and mouth the lyrics like i do. A well written and well played song. An all round good listen and if you're interested, this song is from the album Elevator that has pretty good songs eg. Talk to me Dance with me. Check it out. Hot Hot Heat might just be your next favourite alternative indie pop band.


powered by ODEO

4 comments:

Sam said...

Yay!!! Jylene is in the blog! Anyway, Haha, this song has been in my playlist for so long (because of your influence) but I've never listened to the lyrics. Hrmm...Should go have a look.

Aquavires said...

That's quite a comprehensive critique, I must say. You've made me curious about it now...! *heads off to find a copy of the song*

Jylene said...

cedric is supposed to add the music clip. wait for it.....hahah

Aquavires said...

It's here! ^_^