Sunday, December 31, 2006

Doraemon is cool

With the arrival of high quality Japanese manga/anime which are now very quickly gaining vast popularity, the new generation of manga/anime fans no longer remember nor are even interested in one of the very best manga in history - Doraemon - the blue robotic cat who has a magic pocket which contains.. well.. everything.

Apparently, the first of the series appeared in December 1969. That pretty much explains its rather simplistic character drawing and design, but the author Fujiko F. Fujio is one brilliant man to have come up with something so endearing that it is still being clearly remembered by fans even after decades. (Okay maybe only me).



Clockwise from bottom right: Doraemon, Sinyu, Giant, Sizuka, Nobita


Although personally I'm a BIG fan of modern anime, none of them can be as memorable as Doraemon has been to me. It's storyline is almost non-existent. Every chapter, Nobita will either get himself into trouble and come home crying to Doraemon for a solution or come home crying to Doraemon and then get himself into trouble. With a storyline as shallow as my sense of humour, how did Doraemon become such a widely loved cartoon character?

Beats me.

I didn't know why I loved Doraemon so much, even when I was questioned on why. I didn't know. I didn't care. I knew I just loved Doraemon. For being Doraemon ^.^



How can you not like Doraemon???


In case you're wondering why Doraemon doesn't have ears when he's supposed to be a cat, a robotic one nevertheless, his ears were bitten off by a rat when he was sleeping. In case you're wondering why the rat would bite off his ears when he's supposedly a robot, please refrain yourself from trying to do so. Attempting to figure out the logic to that would be equivalent to trying to figure out why Superman wears red undies.

Doraemon likes Dorayaki. It's some sort of Japanese donut, with two pancake-like thingy sandwiching red bean paste in between. I've actually eaten a few of those. Although there's nothing particularly special about them, just the fact that it's Doraemon's favourite food made it a fun thing to eat. I never would have tried them if it wasn't for Doraemon.



One of the few Japanese foods which I do eat


I practically grew up reading Doraemon. The only other manga which rivalled Doraemon during its time was Dragonball, which has also gone absolutely horribly obsolete by today's standard. Although Dragonball was far more action-packed and had a proper storyline, I remember Doraemon more clearly than anything else. My friend's chinese version of Doraemon actually made sense to me! I can't read chinese.

Don't let a masterpiece go to waste. Pick up a copy of Doraemon and immerse yourself into the world of illogicalness.

And Dorayakis.

5 comments:

Eli James said...

Lol! We all have our pet fancies! So now we know what's yours! Thanks for posting, tzelun. You've just taught me to look for dorayaki now...

Tze Lun said...

I had a hard time figuring out what to write, but I knew I'd be dead if I didn't post anything before Sam comes back.

And Doraemon is cool! Jylene must have missed the post otherwise she'd barge in and say "Doraemon is retarded".

And Dorayakis are cool too! I don't think anyone would have been interested or even know about Dorayaki here if it wasn't for Doraemon :P

Sam said...

^.^

I've lost count. Was it within 8 and a half days?

=)

You posted you posted you posted you posted!

Aquavires said...

Hey, it's not just you, Tze Lun! ^_^ I had a HUGE Doraemon comic collection too. Kena marah by my mom once cuz I "read too many comics", thus "kept failing my spelling tests". =P

Remember the Malay versions they showed on TV (RTM)? I could've sworn they pronounced Sinyu as "Sunyo"... =S

P.S. How on earth did Sam get the post of Blogging Enforcer?!

Tze Lun said...

Sam, it's *definitely* within 8 and a half days. I still wanna live :P I guess I have another 2 weeks (more or less) before the next one is due... muahaha...

And Sze Howe, I practically had the entire series :P From the very first one till the last. But my mum was kind enough to didn't mind about my collection.. haha. In fact she helped me packed it nicely when I wasn't around.

The spelling in the comic book might not have been entirely correct because the spelling I got from Wikipedia (yes... I actually wikied it :P) is Suneo. And Giant is Jaian. I guess the spelling in the comics were sort of Malay-nised.